Re: completely hosed OpenOffice 1.0.1

"Carl B. Constantine" <duckwing@duckwing.ca> writes:

> * Boycie (boycie@boycie.net) wrote:
> >
> > Hope this helps,
>
> Oh, I should mention that my font dirs in my XF86Config-4 file is as
> follows:

<Standard FontPath section, with a commented out
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType>

The problem is that msttcorefonts moved the directory you need to use
for X fonts and:
1) didn't clean up the old directory
2) Tell you about the problem and how to fix it.

Here's how to fix it:
Remove /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType and everything in it.  Those
fonts.whatever files now only serve to confuse things as they're no
longer accurate.  (Openoffice is one of the worst with dealing with
this problem)

Replace any references to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType in your
/etc/x11/XF86Config-4 file with a reference to:

/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

Make certain that your XF86Config-4 doesn't contain multiple Files
sections with a FontPath that overrides the one you just edited.

If you have X running, you can test this with
   xset fp- /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
   xset +fp /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

Assuming everything works, X should then be just fine once you
restart.

But finding out that the magic directory was
  /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
took me entirely too long - it wouldn't hurt the maintainer of
msttcorefonts to at least put in a README.Debian note about it,
considering how many bug reports he's already gotten on this subject.