Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 12:44:15AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Further, since this
> > is suddenly going to become a release-critical bug, as release manager,
> > I'm going to have to start spending time worrying about RC bugs against
> > netkit-inetd, base-passwd, and I've no idea how many other packages.
> If it's so obvious that your version of policy is the best thing, then
> there should be little difficulty in getting people to agree to
> suitable wording to clarify the existing practice, right?

See, that's what you'd think, wouldn't you? But it's not the case -- as
you point out, the policy czar thinks that the existing behaviour isn't
a valid interpretation of an ambiguous statement in policy, but flat out
wrong.

> Perhaps a little less fuming, would be useful.

Do you really think a bunch of people who *don't care* how something
works should be the ones making policy about it? Do you really think
that policy should be based not on current practice, or benefit to our
userbase, but on accidents of phrasing?

Because that's the way things are working, that's where consensus is
currently at, and if I weren't being so continually bloody obnoxious,
policy would be reflecting that, IMO, to Debian's detriment.

I would absolutely _love_ to be convinced that I'm wrong, but no one's
even _trying_ to have any sort of learned discussion on the topic.
Instead we have yet another stupid debate about semantics, that I'm
*required* to participate in, since everybody who's so excited about it
can't be bothered caring what the *right* solution is.

Seriously: you want to see less fuming? Then _stop wasting my time_. Talk
about something that's going to absolutely clearly improve Debian, and
write some code, and do something _useful_, instead of this absolutely
pointless nonsense.

(from the other mail:)
> What do you want?  You want policy not to match practice?  You want
> confusion?  You want to get to dictate the rules and the rest of
> march along?

I want people to actually think about what's best, not obsess over
the letter of policy. And I want them to do it automatically, without
requiring patient persuasion every time some new issue comes up.

Cheers,
aj

----- End forwarded message -----