dpkg-statoverride question

Hello,

In my amavis-postfix postinst file, I have:

case "$1" in
    configure)
	adduser --system --home /var/lib/amavis --no-create-home amavis
	for i in /var/lib/amavis /var/lib/amavis/virusmails /var/run/amavis
	do
		if ! dpkg-statoverride --list $i >/dev/null
		then
			dpkg-statoverride --update --add amavis root 755 $i
		fi
		[...]
	done

    [...]
esac

I was under the impression that this would allow overriding
the ownership of the file outside the package.

However, every time I reinstall the package, it goes back to
the defaults.

Just to make sure, I typed in "dpkg-statoverride --list /var/lib/amavis"
before and after, and it is correct before, but wrong afterwords.

For the record, I have Russell's SE-Linux version of dpkg but recompiled
for woody. It is based on version 1.9.21.

Any ideas?

(PS: that adduser code is also a bit dodgy, currently it removes
the user and re-adds it on upgrades; suggestions for a better place
to put this, and the corresponding remove user call appreciated ;-).
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>