Re: locale problem with coreutils

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> [2002-09-23 19:03:50 -0500]:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:43:09AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > A short look at the /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/coreutils.mo
> > file gives me the impression that the german locales files are broken
> > for coreutils - some characters are UTF-8, some are latin-1.
>
> Probably an artifact of the merging done upstream to create the
> coreutils po files -- given that the first merge attempt resulted in
> fuzzy translations where they should not have been, it doesn't surprise
> me that no encoding verification was done, either.

That certainly seems like a plausible possibility.  Jim is very
responsive to those types of bugs and patches.  File a bug at
bug-coreutils@gnu.org with the information you have.  Once in the
archive there I will file a bug in the upstream coreutils bug database
with that as a reference.  Or if you are a Savannah developer you can
link the bug into the database yourself.

But coreutils is also very dependent upon volunteer translators for
the support of other languages.  Any help that you can provide in that
area is greatly appreciated.

Bob