Re: locale problem with coreutils

> > That Ã* looks very much like the unicode representation of Ü.
>
> When you write unicode, do you mean an UTF-8 encoded version of ISO
> 10646?  It is not the same as unicode.

Well, i did.
But it isn't.
It's broken... I can see it here, too.
"rm /" gives me (as user)
  rm: Verzeichnis (schreibgeschà 1/4 tzt) »/« entfernen?

UTF-8 representations of latin-1 non-ascii characters are usually just
two characters; so there was an additional conversion at work;
converting the "1/4" single-character to a string...

A short look at the /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/coreutils.mo
file gives me the impression that the german locales files are broken
for coreutils - some characters are UTF-8, some are latin-1.

The file contains "schreibgeschÃŒtz" and "durchzuführen"
where "ü" and "ÃŒ" are the latin-1 and UTF-8 representations of the same
character.

Gruss,
Erich Schubert
--
        erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
        A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.