Re: enabling/disabling daemons

Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Every time I've seen this argument made in the past, the response has
> always be "well why did you install the package if you don't want to run
> it?"  I don't think that reply is valid.  There are plenty of sane
> reasons why you might want to install a server package but leave it
> disabled.

Such as that it's in the same package with some other things you want,
or it's a "Required" priority package which, nevertheless, you really
don't want, or another package is dependent on it even though the other
package will run just fine without it. (This is, of course, a bug in
that other package, but that package's maintainer may not agree -- ref.
nautilus 1.x's dependency on xfs.)

Craig