Debian retirement

I will shortly be placing all my packages up for adoption and retiring from
Debian, after what amounts to 10 years. Wow!

setserial : small maintainance but big divergance from upstream due to
            lack of upstream support (e.g. pcmcia problems). Its a small
            package and is not hard to maintain.
blt       : big maintainance and big divergance from upstream to support
            multiple blt versions and multiple tcl/tk versions simultaneously
            and dynamically at run-time. Its an enormous package and cannot
            recommend it to anyone unless then have at least 2 brains and
            a thick skin. There is an outstanding bug which appears to be
            that i forgot to include a .h file in one of the packages (i.e.
            easy to fix).

My University, Napier in Edinburgh, Scotland, has finally recognised the
attractiveness of Linux and are going to support it, provided we standardise
on a single distribution. Unfortunately this is not Debian. My boss has
instructed me to move to the new platform, and I have finished moving my
first machine to RedHat. As a consequence I have no Debian machines myself,
and I guess I will have to focus all my efforts into liking RedHat.

Now, having seen RedHat 7.3, our package manager is still miles ahead. Our
approach to config files is miles better too. However, the convenience of
getting rpm files from anywhere and getting the to work is nice, and I have
not been bitten by any inconsistances yet (time will tell).

If you want to email me about something could you use gor@debian.org, as
gor and g.russell@dcs.napier.ac.uk is broken here. Napier is switching from
Unix to MS Exchange, and thus all Unix email is broken. Dont ever work in the
public sector...

Good luck.
G.

--