Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:55:30 +0200
barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier) wrote:

> > I gather that older debconf don't understand the Encoding-xx: header.
> > We want new Description-whatever to not to go in the way of older
> > debconf.
>
> Please explain why breaking compatibility is a plus.

I think this way it is keeping more compatibility.

> The only `benefit' of the Description-ll_LL.encoding scheme is that
> translated strings for a given language can appear with different
> encodings, but again I can hardly see why this is a good thing.

I am only suggesting that Description-ll_LL.UTF-8 be used for
UTF-8 templates, which may be required for cdebconf that is used
while installation, due to the high cost of charset conversion in
terms of space, and availability of UTF-8 framebuffer emulator.

I am suggesting keeping the use of Description-ll_LL: for
the legacy encodings so that we can keep compatibility with older
debconf data, and debconf versions.

regards,
	junichi

--