Re: Seeking help to resolve a lintian request

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 11:52:49AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> I am willing to add this to lintian if the check makes sense (I am not a
> libtool expert or even user) as long as someone tells me how to make the
> check work sensibly.

I don't think it makes sense.  .la files should not go into shared library
packages, because their filenames are not versioned.  And putting them in
a development package is useless for Debian systems, because our linker
doesn't need to be worked around.  In fact, .la files are often a source
of bugs: I have seen many that contain paths for the maintainer's home
directory.

In fact, Lintian should probably warn against including .la files, for
these reasons.

Richard Braakman