Re: NMU'ing for wishlist bugs? (aka: intent to NMU bind9)

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> [2002-09-16 18:52:02 +0200]:
> I think that the majority of Linux machines have bind installed.  I don't
> recall the last time I installed Linux without bind, it would be sometime
> before 1996...

Agreed.  I consider bind locally a standard installation.  Over a
thousand machines at my employer and each run a local bind daemon with
a forwarding configuration to our top level servers.  We tried
switching from that to a centralized DNS server but there were
problems with centralization and we switched back to having a local
named.  BIND is designed to be distributed and works well that way.
There are many reasons to run a caching name server.  Here are a
couple.

If you have a large network of machines then local caching reduces the
network traffic.  Local caching reduces the named load on the
infrastructure servers.  The bigger the network the more important it
is to run a caching name daemon.  Some sites are very large.

If you have a slow network connection then a local bind improves
performance by local caching.  The slower the connection the more
important it is to run a caching name daemon.  Phone lines are slow.
Most users small sites exist behind phone lines.

Running a local caching name server daemon is a very, very popular
configuration.

Bob