Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:03:25 -0600 (MDT)
Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> wrote:

> > Not really, there is only one charset used in templates files (EUC-JP),
> > but user may have a different charset.  This is not only true for Japanese,
> > but all other languages may be in UTF-8.  What we need is charset conversion
> > at runtime.
>
> It would be somewhat elegant if debconf and the eventual translated
> package descriptions end up using the same scheme for storing the
> translations, which I thought was informally agreed on to be universally
> UTF-8, and converted at runtime for display.

I have had an impression that we didn't need to universally make everything
UTF-8. We can convert from any charset to any other charset (almost).
We already have templates in EUC-JP for Japanese etc., and we don't
even need to throw them away if we support charset conversion from
EUC-JP to the display charset (nl_langinfo (CODESET);, or locale charmap)

That's the situation with debconf, anyway.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer