Re: autoconf weirdness

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:24:02AM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > It almost looks like you invoked an Autoconf macro that swallowed
> > a lot of input text.  What is in your configure.in (or
> > configure.ac)?
> I am just using the configure.in from the Debian package.
> I made a small change to Makefile.am, and I want that
> change to appear in Makefile.in.
> However, just typing in "automake" results in a Makefile
> that is not useable, presumably because the autoconf version
> is too old or something.

I've now taken a look at this.  It seems to me that there must be
a quoting problem somewhere in the included m4 files.  There is a
horrible, horrible number of those, though, and I don't want to
spend a lot of time looking through them.

> > Are you using Autoconf 2.13 or 2.53?
> I just typed in
> aclocal -I m4
> autoconf
> It seems to have used version 2.53 (see header at top), but I don't know
> why...
> It has at the top:
> AC_PREREQ(2.13)               dnl Minimum Autoconf version required.
> How do I force version 2.13 to be used?

You don't want to do that:

    blp@pfaff:~/tmp/shellutils-2.0.11(0)$ grep AC_PREREQ *
    aclocal.m4:  AC_PREREQ(2.14a)
    aclocal.m4:  AC_REQUIRE([jm_AC_PREREQ_XSTRTOUMAX])
    aclocal.m4:AC_PREREQ(2.13)               dnl Minimum Autoconf version required.
    aclocal.m4:AC_PREREQ(2.13)               dnl Minimum Autoconf version required.
    grep: autom4te.cache: Is a directory
    configure.in:AC_PREREQ(2.13)               dnl Minimum Autoconf version required.
    grep: debian: Is a directory
    grep: doc: Is a directory
    grep: intl: Is a directory
    grep: lib: Is a directory
    grep: m4: Is a directory
    grep: man: Is a directory
    grep: po: Is a directory
    grep: src: Is a directory
    grep: tests: Is a directory

In other words, at least version 2.14 is needed, so 2.13 won't
"There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you.
 And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you.
 I told them you were the best.  Now you damn well better be."
--Orson Scott Card, _Ender's Game_