Re: New control field proposal which could help on gcc3.2 transition

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:42:27AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
[snip]
> However, not all packages should do that right off, and this new field
> offers a good way to recover from lack of foresight.

 That is exactly the main point of the proposal, making it easier to fix
 things then you already f*cked up. Because we are all humans (I think
 :)), and we make mistakes. Some times we may lack the foresight and
 others something unpredictable may happen.

 And some times the soname can't be changed for compatibility with other
 distros, or upstream is not willing to do things "The Right Way".

 It could be reported as an error by lintian and even forbidden in
 policy unless permited by consensus. But I find it a good way to fix
 some things.

 Have a nice day

 	ranty

--