Re: New control field proposal which could help on gcc3.2 transition

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:03:35PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Ben Collins wrote:
> > I program can more easily retain backward compatibility though. You've
> > generally done so quite well by having things like an API where the user
> > of the API defines which version it is using.
> >
> > Libraries can do the same thing with versioned symbols (and I've yet to
> > understand why more things don't do this...portability perhaps).
>
> So far, what I gathered from the library symbol versioning stuff is:
>
> 1. GNU systems have absolutely no reason not to use it.
> 2. We should be using and enforcing its usage.
> 3. We don't because the other distros don't, and they don't because of the
>    same reason.

We wouldn't be the ones to implement it, upstream does.

Two primary users of this that I know of is libgcc (gcc-3.0 and up) and
glibc. I don't think any other libraries use it.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/