Re: [ardour-dev] ardour

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:22:17PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> how can debian ensure that? you are requiring that all user's read and
> adhere to the debian bible.

No, we just say:

- if you use the debian packaging system and a stable release, you wont have
(much) dependecy problems
- if you install binaries or compile files on your own, you will face
problems, if you cant resolv them, dont do it
- if you want to compile on your own, use the debian tools to do that, this
will reduce the number of problems.

> >If a user wants to use a different compiler, he should know what he is
> >doing.
>
> "should": no doubt about that. "will" ???

there is no way (besides writing docu and teaching users) to enforce this,
what is your point?

> when i installed debian for my brother a month or two ago, i never saw
> anything about the BTS. i've never heard of it, and nothing during the
> install told us about it. we had a fully functioning linux system with
> ardour running, and any bugs that he discovered would have been sent
> straight to ardour-dev.

this is because you did not read the primer and install doc. But there is
nothing wrong with this. As long as you tell upstream, which version you use
and that it is on debian, upstream knows (ideally) who to contact from
debian.

This of course requires the maintainer of the debian package to stay in
touch with upstream, which is at least true for some of us.

Greetings
Bernd