Re: NMU'ing for wishlist bugs? (aka: intent to NMU bind9)

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 08:32:13AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Turbo Fredriksson (turbo@debian.org) wrote:
> > to /var/lib/named/var/cache/bind. Also the following links is in
> > place (to ease transition for me, as the admin :)
> >
> >         /etc/bind -> /var/lib/named/etc/bind
> >         /var/cache/bind -> /var/lib/named/var/cache/bind
>
> What kind of links are those?  I'm thinking symlink won't (at least
> shoudln't..) work and hardlinks only work if they're the same
> filesystem, which is not required (and not the case on most of my
> systems).

Hardlinks don't work for directories either.

I guess Turbo means that /etc/bind is a symlink to
/var/lib/named/etc/bind, not the other way round. I'd be mildly
concerned about how any chrooted bind package would arrange to migrate
to this kind of setup smoothly, though. People manage nameserver
configuration in all kinds of weird and wonderful local ways.

(Personally I think I'd use Linux 2.4's mount --bind rather than
symlinks.)