conflicting definitions in /usr/include/

Under the assumption that iputils-ping will eventually become the
default in Debian, I've been doing some extra QA to make sure things
work as advertised on all platforms.  Unfortunately, they don't.  The
problems are very easy to work around, but it bugs me that it's even
necessary.

The iputils source includes a directory, include-glibc, that contains
modified copies of /usr/include/bits/{sockunion.h,socket.h} and
/usr/include/netinet/{ip.h,ip_icmp.h,in.h}.  These files are modified
from the original in that certain definitions have been removed from
them.  This is necessary because, for example, both
/usr/include/netinet/in.h and /usr/include/linux/ipv6.h define the
in6_addr structure, and the iputils tools won't compile since it
includes both of those files.  Why do they both define that structure?
There are other conflicting definitions as well, such as sockaddr_in6.

The reason this is all causing me problems right now is that for some
reason on MIPS, SOCK_DGRAM is defined as 1 and SOCK_STREAM is 2, which
is the opposite of other systems.  This caused the local bits/socket.h
to set those symbols to the wrong values...

noah