Re: debian/dirs

martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> [2002-09-08 20:53:42 +0200]:
> what should go into debian/dirs? *all* the directories into which the
> specific package installs files? even /usr/share/doc/<package> and
> /usr/share/man/man1? i can't find a clear reference anywhere...

I believe you only need to place directories there that are not
created by the Makefile's 'make install' target.  I think you can
start without a file there and then build.  Any Makefile complaints
about no such file or directory which are caused by it trying to copy
files into the image area but no directory existing can be handled by
placing the directory in dirs and having debhelper create the
directory first.

Most automake Makefiles will be fine.  I believe this mostly applies
to other Makefiles probably hand created which don't make parent
directories first.

Bob