Re: *term -ls, a summary

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:51:38AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Norbert> FYI, I filed a bug on ssh, as I think it clearly is a bug.
> Norbert> If rsh does this too, then someone who uses is may want to
> Norbert> file a bug on it as well..
>
> I disagree.  This is what ~/.ssh/environment and/or ~/.ssh/rc are for.
>
> How is this case different from, say, executing a program off a menu
> in X?  Last time I checked, you also don't get your .profile files
> read, _unless_ you source them from your ~/.xsession (which is
> precisely what that file is for).

The difference is that ssh runs a shell, while X runs a window manager..

Also, X is grophical, so it makes sense to make it a special case.  If
your .profile prints something to stdout, you wouldnt see it in the X
case..  It does not make sense for ssh to have ~/.ssh/environment, and
rshd to have ~/rshd/environment (I know that this doesnt actually
exist), and for some third service to have a third location.  All of
these spawn a shell, and the shell already takes care of the
environment if started as a login shell..

> The concept of a "login shell" should continue to refer to its
> common-sense meaning, rather then inventing a new meaning for it just
> for implementation convenience.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I my interpretation of the meening of login
shell is in the bug report:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=159762&repeatmerged=yes

"This is wrong, as every login or session (which is what ssh provides)
needs to start with a login shell.  Once the login shell has configured
the environment, subsequent non-login shells can be spawned, and they
will inherit the environment.  Therefore, when executing commands,
a non-ineractive, login shell should be run."

Do you have a different idea of what it means?

Thanks,

Norbert