Re: Dependencies on -dev packages

    Junichi> So that libbar-dev can conflict with packages that libbar
    Junichi> is incompatible with at run-time, so that other shared
    Junichi> libraries that are incompatible do not get loaded in the
    Junichi> same shared namespace.

FWIW, I agree with Dale; this is using a Howitzer to protect your
front door when a simple padlock will do.  Worse, the Howitzer guards
the door while the windows at the back of the house remain open, cf
packages with module extensions.

Anyway, as I said elsewhere, the issue is moot until we have the
capability to add versioned symbols easily & painlessly to any
library.  Debian is founded on technical excellence; we should be
putting that excellence to use.  In that spirit, I'm off to learn
exactly what it takes to add version symbols to every library package
I support.

--
Stephen

"Networks are complicated. Security is difficult. People are stupid."
- jsaylor@mediaone.net