Re: [RFD] optimized versions of openssl

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:17:55AM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> I suspect it would be "better" to do install-time selection; the
> preferred way to choose is to benchmark the alternatives on a
> realistic task. That isn't something most people would want to do when
> they load the library, since it takes a while to do, and on a given
> CPU, the results are unlikely to change over time.

No, you don't need to benchmark anything. It should be sufficient to
identify the cpu and jump to the proper optimization. Probably with a
feature-based check for unknown cpus. A benchmark might theoretically be
better, but an install-time check is a pita. (What happens if you
upgrade your cpu? Or install from hd images created on another system?)

--
Mike Stone