Re: Deleting /var/cache/*

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:34:23PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> I deleted /var/cache/* today to free up some space on my /var
> partition. However, instead of applications re-creating the files as I
> expected, I recieved a bunch of error messages.

> apt/apt-get refused to do anything until I manually created the
> directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial

[snip]

> Sure, these errors are relatively simple to fix, but I am wondering if
> they are bugs. So before I file them as such, I'd like to know is it a
> requirement of using /var/cache that directories and files be
> automatically re-created?
>
> According to FHS 5.2:
>
> Files located under /var/cache may be expired in an application
> specific manner, by the system administrator, or both. The application
> should always be able to recover from manual deletion of these files
> (generally because of a disk space shortage). No other requirements
> are made on the data format of the cache directories.

I think the key word is "files". As you say it doesn't talk about about
directories, for good reason since it's an awful lot of work. you'd have to
replace:

  Look for cache file
  If not, go the long way

with:

  Look for cache file
  If not, check for parent directory
    If not there, try to create it
      If fails, check for parent directory
        etc...

Ofcourse, it could just do system("mkdir -p /var/cache/whatever/dir/it/is")
everytime it wants to open a file but that would be inefficient.

> True, the FHS does not specifically say that directories have to be
> recreated, but I would consider it a bug if they aren't. Anyone agree?

Maybe in a maintainence script somewhere. IIRC squid needs to create a whole
bunch of directories for it's cache before it will start up. It does this
when you install it.

So no, I don't agree.