lilo-22.3.2-3 trashed my SCSI disk

Hello,

After upgrade of lilo in unstable my whole SCSI disk got trashed. It
could only be recovered with the use of the IBM drive fitness test
tool, and a complete erase disk was necessary :-( What happened?

A reinstall of Woody showed that it can only boot from the MBR
partition, not the root partition, i.e.

boot=/dev/sda, works!
boot=/dev/sda1, does not work!

What has changed for newer versions of lilo?  I have been running
Debian stable/testing/unstable for several years now without any
problems before.

Note also that I have a dual disk system, SCSI and IDE, therefore the
disk=, bios= statements in lilo.conf. The disk partitioning tools, such as
cfdisk requires both the SCSI disk and the IDE disk to have at least
one partition with the boot flag set. Is this really necessary?

Does the install=menu stuff have anything to do with the crash?

Maybe grub is better with respect to error recovery?

Still a Debian fan,
Svante

Partial session follows:
Setting up lilo (22.3.2-3) ...
Old /boot/boot.b symlink discovered, put the line "install=menu" in
/etc/lilo.conf instead.
Removing sym link
Press ENTER to continue

Running /usr/sbin/liloconfig

LILO, the LInux LOader, sets up your system to boot Linux directly
from your hard disk, without the need for a boot floppy.

You already have a LILO configuration in the file /etc/lilo.conf

Checking your /etc/lilo.conf for incompatible options...

Install a boot block using your current LILO configuration? [Yes]

WARNING: Even if lilo runs successfully, see /usr/share/doc/lilo/INCOMPAT.gz
	 for changes in the usage of the /etc/lilo.conf file.
	 If needed: edit /etc/lilo.conf and rerun '/sbin/lilo -v'

Running lilo...
LILO version 22.3.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2002 John Coffman
Released 11-Jul-2002 and compiled at 11:04:56 on Aug 31 2002.

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda1
Using MENU secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
Added 2417smp1 *
/boot/boot.0801 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.

Editing /etc/lilo.conf:
boot=/dev/sda1
root=/dev/sda1
lba32
#compact

#My changes below...
install=menu
#install=/boot/boot.b

delay=20
map=/boot/map
read-only
disk=/dev/sda
  bios = 0x80
disk=/dev/hda
  bios = 0x81
prompt
default=2417smp1
timeout=50
#image=/vmlinuz
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
  label=2417smp1
  read-only

lilo -v:
LILO version 22.3.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2002 John Coffman
Released 11-Jul-2002 and compiled at 11:04:56 on Aug 31 2002.

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda1
Using MENU secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
Added 2417smp1 *

/boot/boot.0801 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.

reboot: