Re: [PHP] Standard placement of PHP libraries?

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Thorsten Sauter wrote:

> > But what about every other PHP extension library out there?  libphp-adodb,
> > for instance, uses /usr/lib/adodb - in violation of the FHS
> not true. :)
> since version 2.31-1 libphp-adodb is now installed in /usr/share/adodb,
> this should now conform to the FHS.

My mistake.  I was looking at the Woody version, not the latest unstable
version.  (I'm not keen on running unstable, but developing on Woody has
severe disadvantages).

> > I would like to propose /usr/share/php4 as the place for all scripts
> > intended to run under php4 (whatever subversion) and intended for inclusion
> > in other PHP scripts.
> I agree. It make the live easier for php-developers.

We'll wait and see what the PHP mini-policy comes out with before we go
shifting ourselves all over the place, but I think this much is BCP:

1) All PHP code intended to be used by other programs (outside the original
package) should go into /usr/share/php directly;

2) No /usr/share/php/<packagename> will be used;

3) Naming conflicts (and there will be some, I'm sure) will be sorted out
by dpkg and pistols at 30 paces.  <grin>

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16