Re: png2/3 problem apparently successfully solved with -Bsymbolic

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 06:02:35PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> > Apparently the "different interpretation" is what I was assuming the
> > current one.

> Yeah, I was in a severe headache for a while because I too knew about the
> old interpretation apparently.

> > How about the implementing the GNU extension?

> It would be useful, yes.  But I think it is completely out of the
> possibilities for the near future -- you need to get it upstream, and let it
> deploy first.

> So can we go with versioned symbols (plus -Bsymbolic in key libraries if
> just versioned symbols isn't enough for that particular library -- not many
> have an API so broken that -Bsymbolic is actually required when versioned
> symbols are in use).

FWIW, I find that -Bsymbolic tends to be useful in its own right; I've
never met anyone who had a good reason for trying to override a library's
internal references, but I have seen many cases where not using
-Bsymbolic caused namespace conflicts and segfaults.  This is a
particularly popular source of bugs with Apache/PHP.

It's just that -Bsymbolic doesn't solve this particular problem.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer