Re: bug#152736 X doesn't start due to no cursor font!

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 04:55, Carl B. Constantine wrote:
> I continue to have problems with this bug. Now X refuses to start
> because it can't locate the default cursor font. Here's the message:
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default cursor font 'cursor'
>
> But I do have a cursor font, even though I don't have xfonts-gimpers 1.8
> installed (it refuses to install anyway). But I do have xfonts-artwiz
> installed. I purged xfonts-gimpers from my system and now X has a brain
> tumor. This is a critical bug and should have been fixed by now.

1) You're very welcome trying to fix it and NMU it. I only have so much
time to fix bugs.

2) Stop spamming me and the BTS, or use -quiet, I already receive a copy
of the mail you send to the BTS.

3) I'm going to explain what's going on (or what I think is going on):

xfonts-gimpers was piggy-backing on xfonts-artwiz' diversion of the
cursor font, so that xfonts-artwiz and xfonts-gimpers could be installed
at the same time.

xfonts-artwiz split up the cursor and the fonts at some point, that's
where the mess begins.

I don't know what's happening, but when you upgrade xfonts-artwiz, it
removes the X cursor.

If somebody knows how to fix/debug this problem, I'd be very happy.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net