Re: ITP: mini-dinstall -- daemon for updating Debian packages in a repository

On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 20:37, Joey Hess wrote:

> I've been using a hackish program to manage my archive, so I'm very
> interested. It doesn't do quite what my old program does though
> (~joeyh/bin/package-sync).

On which machine is this ~joeyh?

> * I need the ability to keep my existing sources.list lines, which are pretty
>   well-known. I will only ever have i386 and all in my repository, so I
>   don't need separate directories. And $(ARCH) is icky. I lump everything
>   into one directory and use:

This is a bit tricky.  It would be nice to support a few more layouts
though.  The reason I don't support a single directory-style layout is
because you can't mix different architecture .debs in there, so I didn't
really find it useful.

 * A proper Incoming directory would be nice. I was confused at first
>   about where exactly to upload stuff to and tried putting stuff in the
>   i386/ and all/ directories.

Well, basically each distribution is its own archive.  There isn't
really a pool structure, because to have a pool type thing, you really
need a database to keep track of it, tools to manage it, and at that
point you might as well just use the full-blown dinstall.

> * The bit about dnotify is confusing. What is it?

dnotify is the Linux 2.4 directory notification API; it tells you when a
directory has changed.  There's a little program in a package named
"dnotify" which is an interface to that.  But my python wrapper, or it,
is still a bit buggy :/

> * It doesn't deal well if it gets a package in an architecture not
>   listed:

Fixed, thanks!

> * I need the ability to have a hook that runs a program passing it a changes
>   file name once it successfully puts a package into the archive. I use
>   this type of hook to auto-update web pages for debian native packages, and
>   I would like to use it as a way to launch a secondary dput to the main
>   debian archive, since I currently upload everything to my own local archive
>   and also to Incoming.

That's a pretty cool idea.  Should be implemented in the latest 0.0.1.0;
the option is called "post_installation_script".

> * For one repository I would like the ability to not delete old versions of
>   packages in it, ever.

Also should be implemented in 0.0.1.0, as the option "keep_old".

Thanks for your comments!