ping and inetd

This is the log of a IRC conversation between me and the netkit and
netbase maintainer.
If you really feel attached to the netkit-inetd and netkit-ping packages
please let us know or they will probably disappear.

Please test the new openbsd-inetd, it can be downloaded from
http://www.bofh.it/~md/ipv6/ . It's supposed to be stable, but it may
lack some bugs^Wundocumented features of the netkit version.
It supports IPv6, built-in libwrap support, binding to specific
addresses and socket buffers tuning.

(->aj) about inetd... I ported the openbsd code and I added to it pieces from
netbsd and netkit, it looks good
(->aj) I suggest to just drop netkit-base in favour of openbsd-inetd and
iputils-ping, which are both actually maintained upstream and have many more
features
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] iputils-ping doesn't have all the features of
netkit-ping
(->aj) really? I asked a few people and could not find anybody who favours it
(->aj) even comparing the man pages, the iputils one is way longer
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] *shrug*
(->aj) I just looked at both and there is no option missing in iputils-ping
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] some options've been added in the debian diff, and
when i switched to iputils-ping as the default there were lots of complaints
about options disappearing
(->aj) maybe it has got better, because I could not find anything missing, even looking at the souce
(->aj) source
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] possibly
(->aj) anyway, what do you think about inetd? The openbsd one is really much
better
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] *shrug*
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] get it packaged separately if it's not already,
then ask -devel if there's any reason not to make it and iputils-ping the
defaults in place of netkit-* ?
(->aj) ok
(->aj) I already packaged it but I have a problem with the upgrade process...
(->aj) the first thing is that I need to use --auto-deconfigure on the dpkg
command line, is this correct? I added a Provides/Conflicts/Replaces:
netkit-inet in the package
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] ugh
(->aj) Provides: because netbase depends on it
(->aj) the other problem is that after I install it with --auto-deconfigure I
cannot purge netkit-inetd because update-rc.d complains that /etc/init.d/inetd
still exists
[aj!aj@azure.humbug.org.au] you're probably better off diverting
/usr/sbin/inetd out of the way and just letting them both be installed
concurrently

--
ciao,
Marco