Re: Release management and testing problems

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 10:53:52AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > A new upload would be desirable, but not required, that's what oldlibs
> > is for.
>
> oldlibs is mainly for external packages -- commercial stuff, or stuff
> built on other distros, or stuff built locally, or whatever.

or libraries so widely used that it would be nearly impossible for us
to recompile all packages still using it in one shot. For example,
we released potato with still a few packages using libncurses4.

> We usually
> aim to get all Debian packages using the latest libraries.

Of course we aim, we agree on this.

I was just trying to stop the FUD that a ten days delay will prevent
us from using the latest libraries. Yes, I've read your latest message.
Granted, there will be pros and cons about using testing or
unstable to build new packages, but libraries are not a pro or a con.