Re: POSSIBLE BUG : some woody packages coming from potato and not pool?

Walter Tautz wrote:
> Not sure this makes any sense perhaps someone can clarify the situation.
> Perhaps I'm just confused :-)
>
> if one examines ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages
>
> for the package libident one finds Filename: dists/potato/main/binary-i386/libs/libident_0.22-2.deb
>
> and it is not a softlink. What's up?

The package wasn't updated after potato has been released.  That's a
common situation for packages that aren't widly used, nobody
experiences a bug in or whose maintainers don't find time to update
them, or is MIA (missing in action).  It's not a big problem in
general.

Once potato is removed from the archive, the remaining files that are
also referenced from woody, will probably be kept in place or finally
moved into the pool.  Yes, this will cause extra pain^Wwork for the
ftpmasters, but this can be automated and should not cause headaches.

> So I guess woody is not truly independent of potato yet?

They share files, that's a common situation, even with long
development cycles like with Debian.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.