Debconf preloading, standard method?

[CC me, please]

Has someone written a standard method of debconf preloading that is
method independent?  I've seen one method for doing it for remote
sources or sources that you actually 'download' in
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and I've come up with an ugly way (need to make
it less ugly, first) to handle file:/ method.

I'm guessing this sort of thing should end up somewhere in apt, but if
not, debconf or another external library?  I'm guessing apt because with
a flag to tell it to preload debconf templates and the 'action' that
will happen, apt knows the method and where the file is.  I fear that
this sort of thing will end up with too many incomplete differing
implementations and it really should be standardised if this is the
right way to insert answers before a package is installed.  This is the
second project in a a week where I've run into this dilemma, so I doubt
its just me. :)

I would be willing to implement if someone wants to point me to where to
implement it.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/