Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 11:20 PM, Ryan Murray wrote:

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:25:37PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
Now that woody is released, it's not useful anymore of course. But while

Then why do we even have a stable distribution, if the attitude of maintainers
is that work on keeping it maintained is not useful anymore?

Of course, a major design goal for stable is that we leave well alone. There's very little doing with it since we refuse to fix almost all bugs there.

unstable has it's name for a reason. Many people don't seem to understand that, and remain calm when everything blows up around them. Instead they send a screaming rant of a bug report with high severity, which makes the
maintainer not want to treat unstable as what it's description says it
is.

You have to draw a balance between doing things that might not work and toasting people's systems - we do want people to run unstable and we do want developers to have something that hangs together reasonably well to develop against. Unfortunately for a few packages like X this means that even in unstable there are some kinds of breakage that can't be readily tolerated.

--
"You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream - or a fever"