Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > - Time and effort from the package maintainers: They'd have to take
>
> Because you think that the introduction of testing simplified the work
> of maintainers ? Look the pain that it is to follow update-excuses to
> see why your package is not entering testing.

Yes exactly -- not imagine the pain of having to track which are in
yet another distribution, and why not.

> Come on ... don't try to imagine drawbacks. Let's first see if you think
> that implementing that solution might help in our release management
> process.

I don't think it offers much if anything over special-purpose staging
areas as is being used for perl 5.8 right now.

> Now that woody is released, it's not useful anymore of course. But while
> we were finalizing woody, he couldn't upload XF4.2 to unstable because he
> wanted to be able to update XF4.1 in woody...
>
> With candidate, he could have uploaded XF4.2 into unstable sooner while
> still having the possibility to finalize XF4.1 for woody ... and at the
> present time we'd have XF4.2 ready instead of still waiting on it
> because it has not been tested enough.

I think we're still waiting on it because it does not work on all
architectures.

--
see shy jo