Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:08:12AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> The problem with this idea is that it seems to be empirically proven, that
> by throwing more people at a delayed project you won't move it forward.
> There certainly are arguments I can think of that suggest this. Is there
> any empirical evidence with some Debian packages where multiple
> maintainers have speeded up the release/bugfix cycle or the contrary?

groff, where I can't deal with the Japanese patch myself; the assistance
of Fumitoshi UKAI in forward-porting that for each new upstream release
meant that I could release 1.18-1 within eight hours of upstream
releasing 1.18. That would have been completely impossible with just me
as the maintainer.

The general idea here is that if a package has a few reasonably distinct
areas of responsibility, as many base packages do, then it's easy to
divide them up.