Re: Shared library defines a RPATH

On Sunday 28 Jul 2002 6:19 pm, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> The argument "it is easier to use rpath" is not valid in any case.  And
> rpath has more side-effects than most people realise.

So far the options I have been given are:

- Write an LD_LIBRARY_PATH wrapper script
  This is very ugly, meaning I have to rename the binaries, move them to
  /usr/lib, all for the sake of setting one env variable.

- Rename all libraries into the form libpackagenamelibraryname.so
  This is also ugly - the filesystem has heirarchical namespaces built in,
  they are called directories.

- Explicitly dlopen
  Yeah sure, I'll write a few hundred lines of code, push them to upstream
  and try to explain why the code should be integrated "because Debian says
  so".

- Move the libs back into /usr/lib
  This is easiest, and the most likely solution. Basically involves moving my
  problem to being someone elses - if a future library name collides that's
  just too bad.