Re: Shared library defines a RPATH

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 11:10:50AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 10:21:17PM +0200, Mikael Hedin wrote:
> > See ogle eg.  There are 9 small executables in /usr/lib/ogle, and they
> > all use 2 shared libs in the same dir.  They use rpath, and I think
> > it's appropriate.
>
> Use a wrapper script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Why should one do that when rpath is the more elegant solution? If a
lib is in the same package as the only binaries that will ever use it,
there is no problem at all.

The argument "libs must be relocatable" isn't really valid in these
cases IMHO, because the lib is usually tied closely to the binaries
and is not intended to be used with any other version of the binaries.

"But it breaks if I mount / under /foo!"
It does, and so does kaffe with its LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick...

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _