Re: interfaces, mapping, etc

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 09:16:36AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'm thinking of something equivilant to cardctl scheme.
> In amoungst all the rambling in this message, I think this one bit is worth
> thinking about. Such a program -- call it ifscheme -- would need to be a
> tad more complicated than I made out since it should down and up
> interfaces which are mapped using it when the scheme changes.

I think you're misunderstanding the way mappings work. Basically
they're totally scriptable, so "when the scheme changes" is, in general,
undeterminable. There are a few reasonable ways (IMO) that you can do
mappings:

	* scheme based -- setup a file /etc/network/scheme, and change it
	  by hand whenever you go somewhere else

	* network autodetection -- before configuring the interface, bring it
	  up "anonymously" and do some pings, arpings, or run tcpdump to try
	  to figure out where you are, then configure based on that

	* GPS autodetection -- have a GPS hooked up, and configure
	  your network settings based on your /real/ location

In particular for the middle one, there's no reliable way of realising
that the scheme has "changed'.

> Would you take such a program in ifupdown?

It sounds kinda like you just want some utilities to support "scheme
based" configuration easily. I don't think that should go into ifupdown
proper (ie, it should just be some separate scripts), but it'd probably
make more sense to put it in ifupdown.deb than anywhere else.

Something like:

	mapping eth0
		script network-scheme
	iface eth0-home inet static
	iface eth0-work inet static

should be able to be made work pretty easily, without any changes to
/sbin/ifup.

Cheers,
aj