Re: *term -ls, a summary

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:33:47PM +0800, Isaac To wrote:

>     Manfred> I am fully aware of that distinction, that is why I wan't (and
>     Manfred> do) have my xterms started with -ls.  All I want is *one*
>     Manfred> option in *one* place for all desktop
>     Manfred> environments/window-managers/terminal-emulators to set this
>     Manfred> behaviour.
>
> Just place the modification in .bashrc (everything in the same place)?

It works but ... aesthetically bad.  This is parsed every time
interactive sub-shell is invoked.  You do not need to export environment
over and over.

>     Manfred> The current situation really sucks.  We have more than a dozen
>     Manfred> terminal emulators and about the same amount of window
>     Manfred> managers/desktop environments and you have to configure each of
>     Manfred> them seperatly. And everytime you start a different one you are
>     Manfred> stuck with that bloody default.
>
> Only if the you take the view of the standing you expressed in an earlier
> mail (below).  But then, how many times does you "start a different one"
> (i.e., how many times do you switch to use another terminal emulator)?

Everytime invoking new terminal :)

 $ xterm &
 $ kterm &

> The system should be clean enough...
>
>   .xsession (or whatever): should really source .xinitrc after setting the
>     environment.

Why .xsession?  But "whatever" part, I agree.  I use .xenvironment as I
described elsewhere :)

.xinitrc is customization file for /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc which is only
used by startx. .xsession is customization file for /etc/X11/Xsession
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is just ". /etc/X11/Xsession"

>   .xinitrc: everything that you want to appear everytime you see X

Works only for startx (xinit).

>   .profile: should really source .bashrc after setting the environment.
>   .bashrc: everything that you want to happen in every interactive bash
>     instance.

This approach ensures functionality you wants but is likely to execute
redundant codes.  That's why all the serious debian people was talking
about PAM.

>   .login: should really source .cshrc after setting the environment.
>   .tcshrc: everything that you want to happen in every tcsh instance.

Same as .bashrc situation.

> There are actually quite a few places that Debian didn't support the above
> view.  E.g., xsession is always executed, no matter whether it is from a
> display manager or from startx.

Because /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is just ". /etc/X11/Xsession".

> Well, I can change my config files, but... why Debian itself cannot be
> more consistent?

Debian is consistent.  It just has different idea from your idea.

I understand problem of Debian is not consistency but lack of some
reasonable/helpful default behaviors/features for the concern of
securities and for the love of minimalist configuration.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.