Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:05:14PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  > You can thank libtool.
>
>  Uh?
>
> $ echo 'foo(){}' > a.c
> $ echo 'bar(){}' > b.c
> $ cc -shared -Wl,-soname,libfoo.so -o libfoo.so a.c
> $ cc -shared -Wl,-soname,libbar.so -o libbar.so b.c -L. -lfoo
> $ rm libfoo.so
> $ echo 'main(){}' > main.c
> $ cc -o main -L. -lbar main.c
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libfoo.so, needed by ./libbar.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>
>  ignoring the repugnant and non ANSI conformant C, I did nothing wrong.
>  The linker is emitting a warning because it can't find libfoo.so needed
>  by libbar.so, which is what I said before.  You can't link a program,
>  without warnings, against a library that links against other libraries
>  if the other libraries' .so symlinks are not present.

That's a different problem, one which I don't know a good solution to.  If
libtool is involved, however, it's an error rather than a warning.  If you
can suggest how to tell the linker it really does not need to try linking
to those libraries because their symbols aren't needed, I'd love to know
how.  =)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>        Sanity is counterproductive

<wichert> 8am is an ungoldly hour to be awake :)
* gorgo usually gets up at 11am