Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

>> "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:

 > I built and installed libpng3. Then tried to build sdl-image1.2 with
 > it (anybody noticed the subject of this thread?). I added libpng3-dev
 > (>= 1.2.1-1.2) to the Build-Depends. I have to build-depend on
 > libpng3-dev, because libpng-dev is also provided by libpng(2)? Well:

 libpng3-dev is a virtual package, so you can't have a versioned
 dependency on that.  I think depending on libpng-dev is only a problem
 if it's a non-versioned build-dependency.  A versioned build-dependency
 can't be satisfied by libpng2-dev.  Just in case dpkg suddenly develops
 support for versioned provides, I'd use:

    Build-Depends: libpng-dev (>= 1.2.1-1.2), libpng3-dev

 In case there's ever a libpng4-dev which happens to provide libpng-dev,
 and in case there's ever support for versioned provides, the above line
 would keep everything pinned to the correct version of libpng3-dev.

 > Is this because the package is called libpng-dev and not libpng3-dev?
 > What are the propper build-depends, libpng-dev (>= 1.2.1-1.2) seems
 > to work.  Do add this dependency also to libsdl-image1.2-dev?

 libsdl-image1.2-dev needs a dependency on libpng3-dev because you can't
 compile stuff (without warnings) if libpng.so is not present.  And you
 want to have libpng.so pointing to libpng.so.3.  You need the same kind
 of dependency in the Depends line as in the Build-Depends line.

 > So how do I fix the current sdl-image problem, criticalmass is still
 > not running with this new version of sdl-image, since criticalmass
 > was built with png2, sdl-image with png3. Do I need an sdl-version
 > with with libpngs?  Or do I need to wait until criticalmass (and
 > maybe more) is recompiled with the new sdl-image? So there will be
 > breakage while sdl-image goes from png2 to png3, even if I hadn't
 > uploaded the package built with png3 yet?

 Ok, let me see...

 $ grep-available -s Package,Depends -F Depends libsdl-image1.2 |
   grep-dctrl -s Package -F Depends libpng2
 Package: libparagui1.0
 Package: libsdl-ocaml
 Package: burgerspace
 Package: libsdl-perl
 Package: criticalmass

 $ grep-available -s Package,Depends -F Depends libsdl-image1.2 |
   grep-dctrl -s Package -F Depends libpng3
 [empty]

 libsdl-image1.2 itself depends on libpng3 right now.  Since nothing
 depends on libsdl-image1.2 and libpng3 (unstable, i386), recompiling
 libsdl-image1.2 agaist libpng2 is atm the painless solution.  That
 means the bug that motivated you to recompile libsdl-image1.2 against
 libpng3 will have to be reopened.  *sigh*

 For the maintainers of the above mentioned packages, it'd be
 worthwhile figuring out why these packages depend on libpng2.  They
 shouldn't.

 > If the whole transistion takes longer than a week, and I guess it
 > will, I need somebody to do an NMU of sdl-image, because I won't be
 > available in august and most of september. Marcelo?

 Yeah, I can do it if there's need for that.

--
Marcelo