Re: Debian 3.0r1

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 10:32, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:53, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > IMO we should try and do a point release by Sep 1.  Of course I'm a little
> Another thing, I'd like to get SE Linux added in a point release.

The hard part about this is that the 'rXX' releases are not conducive to
additions or huge changes. Debian doesn't really have a mechanism for
'stable' update packs between releases.  I think it would be interesting
to have packs that don't upgrade base (minimally) and do upgrade
'important' parts of the system for users.

The 'hard' part being not actually doing it, but keeping the feature
creep down.  Picking what should and should not be included in such an
'update pack'.  I've failed so far on my own defining a policy for such
a pack without basically coming down to "Hey, I'm running the show on
this little archive of mine, too bad."  Perhaps thats the only way to
run a project like that.  Perhaps having a mega-archive of what people
have backported to woody from unstable and then having people decide
what is good in an update-pack of their own.  Of course, I would most
likely release a set I think as 'good updates' myself

In any case, releasing an update pack over one cd large is a bit
overkill IMO, too.  Depending on the changes selinux requires....

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/