Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:40:31AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > And that's why it would be very nice to have libdb2 compiled with versioning
> > symbols as well.
>
> > Actually, I think we should actually get the LSB to propose that ALL
> > libraries be compiled with symbol versioning [in the future].  Is there any
> > sort of drawbacks with such a policy?
>
> Only the fact that there are hundreds or thousands of library developers
> in the Linux community, but only a few dozen who know how to do symbol
> versioning? :)

That's what we're here for.  We write a howto, hard-test it enough by
applying it to at least every library with another library as a
reverse-dependency in Debian, send the patches upstream, etc...

Downstream maintainers are *very* useful, if they want to be  ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh