Re: *term -ls, a summary

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 20:12, Manfred Wassmann wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	Why are we trying to remove these distinctions?
>
> Noone wants to remove distinctions.

You are trying to remove the distinction between a login shell (which is
started from a getty, or an ssh, or something like that), and an
interactive shell (which is started via an xterm, or screen, or
something like that). Please don't, or I will be very very pissed. I
have programs that take several seconds to execute in my login shell
scripts, and then export the results so that every other interactive
shell can use them without having to run those programs again.

If you want something that gets sourced on every interactive shell, put
it in bashrc, or zshrc, or whatever, *not* profile. profile/login is for
*login*, not *interative*. And despite what you've said in other
threads, bashrc is not sourced for non-interactive shells, it's ignored.
(If it's not ignored, this is a bug in bash and that should be fixed,
rather than using insane terminal configurations.)

You seem to be totally unaware of the distinction between login and
interactive shells.

(Also, from a different thread:)
> And you can't add that stuff in .xsession
> because it is specific to the shell being run, and you can run
> different shells in one X session

That's behavior that very few people will ever use, and I don't see why
it necessitates having to make login shells the default. I use only one
shell (zsh), and I have my .xsession load my .zprofile.
--
 - Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>  -  http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's