Re: dpkg-source v2

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:10:54PM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Anthony> If you say that the multisource format is only for
>     Anthony> packages whose upstream source is split into multiple
>     Anthony> files, rather than for cross-source dependencies and
>     Anthony> such, you could expect that the version number on each of
>     Anthony> the files will be the same.
> I'm not sure I parse this.  How would something like prc-tools fit
> into this scheme.  It includes package specific code, patches to a
> particular set of tool-chain tarballs (binutils, gcc, gdb) and
> .origi.tar.gz files for each item in the tool-chain, all of which have
> different versions.  Or is this what you meant by cross compilation?

"cross-source dependencies", not cross compilation. What I mean is doing
something like:

	apt-get install foo-src                       # via Build-Depends:

	cp -a /usr/src/foo-src tmp/foo-src            # get a local copy
	(cd tmp/foo-src && patch -p1 < foo-src.patch) # patch it
	(cd tmp/foo-src && make blah)                 # build it
	gcc -o baz baz.o tmp/foo-src/blah.o           # use it

That is, the source package Build-Depends: on foo-src.deb, which includes
the full source of "foo" in a canonical location.

There's some duplication (foo-src.orig.tar.gz and foo-src.deb are probably
mostly the same), but that's probably not a huge problem.

The benefits are that it works *today* and that it probably encourages
merging the dependencies (having db3_3.2.9 and evolution_db3_3.1.2 doesn't
seem like a win to me, especially if db3 ends up having a security hole).

Cheers,
aj