Re: dpkg-source v2

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 23:29, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
> > Well, I take that back.  It definitely makes the unpacking code simpler,
> > but the packing code becomes more complicated.  Currently, the hack for
> > multiple upstream sources I use is to add a "Source-Style: multi" entry
> > to the debian/control file.  When that entry is present, dpkg-source v2
> > looks at the subdirectories in the unpacked directory, and figures out
> > what each of the upstream sources and their versions are from that.
>
> Couldn't it instead glob over ../<source-package>_*.<version>.tar.* and
> work out the info from there? Perhaps this fails if you have multiple
> souces each with different versions in the tarball names, but I hadn't
> thought it made sense to do that.

I think that would work, but it just seems inelegant to go trawling
through the whole directory looking for source tarballs.  Maybe that's
not a big deal, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.  See below.

> It seems to me that you should be able to package a package up knowing
> only the same set of information you'd use to unpack a package. I've not
> proven this, it's just instinct. If true though there'd be a certian
> elegance in storing the info used in packing in the same format as the
> info used in unpacking (the dsc). Just a thought.

True; I don't particularly like the hardcoding of the versions, as you
mentioned.

Ok, let's take a step back for a second.  We're basically considering
introducing all this complexity because we want to be able to include a
debian/ directory in the upstream .orig.tar.gz.

Is it really worth it?

You know, yet a fourth (and quite simple) alternative for dealing with
debian/ in the upstream .orig.tar.gz that just occurred to me is to
simply rename it to debian.upstream/ or debian.orig/ or something.  That
way, if you actually wanted to use it for some reason, you could
reference it from the real debian/ directory.