Re: Debconf i18n

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Is Description-xx-utf8 not good?

Works for me. We want to retain the locale information (if only to know when
chinese or japanese fonts are to be selected), and as long as we fix the
charset used by default by each locale (and document this in debconf-devel)
it would be enough.

> Description-xx fields are internal to debconf.

Indeed. We just deprecate them and add errors to lintian and linda, to
remind people to use one of the conversion libraries to get their fields to
utf-8.   Five extra bytes per debconf template in their non-compressed form
aren't really bad.  And if we're going to bitch about 5 characters, we
should zlib-compress the templates and store them in binary or something ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh