Re: Debconf i18n

Hi,

At Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:36:41 +0200,
Radovan Garabik wrote:

> >    1. preparation of a way to know the encoding of gettext messages
> >       and debconf templates.
>
> I would like to convert my debconf templates into UTF-8.
> Would that interfere with your scheme? (or, in other words, is there a
> way to manually specify the encoding in my templates?)
> Or would it be better if I leave the templates in current encodings?

I don't have any concrete idea yet.  However, I think ordinary
'Description-xx:' fields should not used for UTF-8 for compatibility.

Though gettext has a way to specify the encoding and it is very
nice, I don't think similar mechanism is needed for Debconf.
Virtually all we will need is conventional encoding for each
country/language and UTF-8.

How about
  Description-utf8-xx:
  DescriptionU-xx:
  UDescription-xx:

When most of Debconf templates will migrate into UTF-8 (and
we won't use other encodings for Debconf templates), we may
want to *change* the specification of Description-xx: field
to use UTF-8.  (I think this is at least next next release
to Woody).

> > I think it is difficult to achieve (4) now, because these user
> > interfaces have poor multibyte/doublewidth/combining/bidi/...
> > support so far.  However, I think two interfaces of dialog and
> > readline could be in time for next release to Woody.
>
> and editor, if user picks up UTF-8 aware editor

Ok, but please be aware that I am thinking about LC_CTYPE encodings
support, not only UTF-8 support.

And, I forgot to say that I am thinking of supporting multibyte,
doublewidth, and combining characters.  Bidi is not yet within
my scope, because there are few terminal emulators which support
bidi.

BTW, how about multibyte/doublewidth/combining characters support
of Linux console?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/