etherconf or ifupdown problem with subnets

Hello All:

I have run across an odd problem when using etherconf in woody to
configure IP addresses statically on a 128 number subnet.

I have a subnet which goes from to

When I use etherconf I tell give the mask as but etherconf
does not ask for a broadcast address, nor does it put one in

when the interface is brought up by /sbin/ifup, the broadcast address is
incorrectly set to

This causes some huge problems on my network and I have had to remove
etherconf and just edit the /etc/network/interfaces by hand.

BTW, if the netmask is all works perfectly!

I don't know if I should report this as a bug to etherconf or ifupdown, or
even ifconfig.  In the first case, it would be good to have a "broadcast"
line in /etc/network/interfaces but that might just be masking a problem
in ifupdown's calculation of a broadcast address from the netmask.  Or
perhaps it is a problem in ifconfig.  The final possibility is that I am
making a stupid mistake.

Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498            Fax: 312.567.3494
Carlo.Segre@iit.edu    http://www.iit.edu/~segre