Re: Version control systems for debian devlopment

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 02:19:38PM +0200, Mikael Hedin wrote:
> anyone uses anything but cvs for this?  I've tried arch a bit and it
> looks promising.  It lacks the equivalent of cvs-buildpackage, but if
> there is some users, it could be worthwile to create
> e.g. arch-buildpackage.

I have tried arch, and my main concern is that it seems to
have a lot of hidden bugs. One bug (which is fixed now) was
that a parameter passed to a sh script was wrong, which resulted
in this shell script being called recursively indefinitely. (I really
do not think this should not have been written in shell scripts...)

The current bug I have filed against arch is that it doesn't seem
to rename files properly (it marks the file as renamed in each patch,
but doesn't actually do it). I suspect when the bug is fixed, my archive
might suddenly break, as patch level 2, 3, 4, etc all rename the file
again which was already renamed in patch level 1.

Also, arch will be much more useable when it has http and sftp
support... I don't like ftp myself

As for other alternatives, dare I mention bitkeeper? There is an ITP for
Debian non-free.

<runs for cover at thought of mentioning ugly[1]-non-DFSG-licensed
software on this mailing list, hopes that flame war hasn't started, and
hides>.

Footnotes:
[1] for just one critique of the license, see
<URL:http://www.taniwha.org/bitkeeper.html>.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>