Re: how to use debget?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:46:00PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:21:24PM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> >
> > > Can we get rid of it then? Its functionality seems mostly superceeded
> > > by apt-get, from what i can tell...
> >
> > For source packages, yes, but not for binary packages.  Here's what I
> > have been using; it's far from perfect, but it gets the job done in most
> > cases.
>
> Hmm.. not too bad actually..
>
> Big missing thing would seem to be that python-apt needs a little wrapper
> to get the URI(s) for a particular version. The information is inside the
> library, but hasn't been broken out yet. It's a bit hard because the
> class(es) it's hiding in aren't even export at all..

Yes, I noticed that.  It's unlikely to be useful at all with packages that
are not in the main Debian archive for that reason, and doesn't allow you to
fetch a particular version.

Honestly, I would have liked to have stolen a lot more from the library,
like the progress meter, to give it a nice consistent feel.  That stuff
isn't exported to python-apt either, though, and I don't imagine it's worth
the effort.

If I would also like to be able to fix it up to allow fetching any existing
version of a source package, since I'm tired of doing it by hand for
security stuff.  Unless, of course, you plan to have apt-get source honor
APT::Default-Release, which would be enough most of the time.

--
 - mdz